Thursday, January 3, 2013


         Currently, I am almost finished with the 'Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky, which continues to show the main character Carlie write even more letters to an anonymous friend throughout the story. Charlie who is currently in high school, writes a bunch of letters to a person who has yet to be named; and his letters technically help build the story from page to page. Most of his letters are about his experiences in high school, how he met Sam and Patrick who are now his two best friends. He also talks about his family, the troubles they had after his Aunt Helen died, and makes us believe that his entire family is nothing a like. However mainly, Charlie describes the parties he attends, where doing drugs is very common. I feel as if the anonymous person is the perspective that we are missing in the book. Throughout the book, we never got a reply back from the person or even a hint of who it is.

     Even though, Charlie hasn't given the reader a clue of who the anonymous friend might be, we still have a picture in our minds. Charlie has dedicated an entire book to this anonymous person, so clearly he/she have to be nice and helpful. Charlie just wrote an entire diary filled with his biggest secrets that not even Sam or Patrick know of. This shows me that Charlie can really trust this person, because he just practically given away the most important and  darkest moments of his high school experience. I know for a fact that if Charlie had just a few doubts about this particular anonymous person, he would never open up. So even in the smallest ways the author still shows that this person plays a really important role in Charlies life. I can tell right off the bat, that this "friend" really can understand Charlie's emotions and will take the time and read all his letters and help out in any way possible.

    To be honest, at some points in the book I thought "anonymous" was Charlie's friend Michael. You see, Michael used to be Charlie's best friend a while ago, and they did absolutely everything together. From hanging out, to going to football games, he trusted him most. Charlie and Michael had a very close bond, not only because Michael was his only friend, but because he was always there for him through thick and thin. However, Michael committed suicide and that left Charlie shattered. So, I thought Charlie created this whole diary to tell Michael how his life has been ever since he died. But than I realized why would this be dedicated to Michael? In his letters, he constantly says "when you get this" and this made me think well how will Michael ever get this letter if he died? So clearly, it has to be a living person.

    I even had some other thoughts of why Charlie and the author both decided not to tell us who anonymous was. I feel as if, maybe the author just wanted us to concentrate on Charlie's life. Because, the responses of "anonymous" might totally shift the story, and Charlie's letters, his life and himself as well will be seen differently. With no responses from anonymous, Charlie goes through changes himself. He fights through the bad experiences, and tries to shift his life into place. However, I feel like with anonymous responding back, Charlie will get help and guidance, and than there will be no point of the story anymore. So in a way, the fact that anonymous is being hidden throughout the book is a positive thing, because we see Charlie battling through high school and life himself, and not with someone to tell him in which direction to go.

   So overall, I feel that not knowing who anonymous is, does bring a positive effect to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment