Thursday, January 31, 2013

 
   I'm still currently reading the book "Love and Other four-letter words" by Carolyn Mackler. I really tried to focus on Samanthas relationship with her best friend Kitty.

    I feel that sometimes Samantha may be jealous of Kitty. For example in the book Samantha described herself as a "curvy ggirl, very insecure, and she wishes her thighs didnt splay out when she sits down or her stomach didnt look pregnant after a second helping. Or i could lose those awful,pinkish stretch marks that recently appeared on my hips." Samantha does seem to be very insecure, but comeon so is every other girl living in this world.Many girls are insecure over their weight, their hieght, anything. Samantha describes her best friend kitty as " the tall thing, the skinny thing, the blonde thing, and the guy thing. Kitty knows exactly how to shake her hips or twitter at guys' jokes, even if she's already heard them. I could never pull the giggling number off. I'd probably wind up something like a hyena with rabies." I've noticed that Samantha does compare herself to Kitty a lot of times. I think that's what triggers her insecurity most often. She even described herself as a jaguar, and Kitty as a Ford Tauras. The fact that she constantly compares herself to kitty, only makes her feel worse. In my opinion, I think Samantha should be happy with what she has. Samantha is one person, and Kitty is another. They weren't brought into this world so they could be exactly alike. I understand where Samantha is coming from, because sometimes seeing your best friend live the life you want with a perfect body, a boyfriend, and a beautiful life may be difficult.

   I've also noticed that Kitty doesn't seem to worry too much about Samantha's problems. She constantly talks about herself, and doesn't really ask whats happening in Samantha's life. Samantha is moving to New York City, and Kitty hasn't mentioned anything about that at all. Samantha had said "It was only on the drive back to my house that I realized Kitty hadnt asked me anything about the move. It had been all kitty, kitty, kitty, and jack, Jack, Jack. Which would have been okay on any other day, but on the morning I'm abondoning my entire life, I think I deserve an extra helping of airtime. Sometimes my relationship with Kitty confuses me. I feel like I slip into this "good friend" role with her. I'm always offering an ear, is if her life stories-without a doubt more action-packed-have more value than mine. " Knowing that the majority of the time your best friend doesn't really care about what goes on in your life hurts. And sometimes I don't find Kitty a good friend at all. If i was in Samantha's place, I would have a talk with Kitty and tell her exactly how I feel; because sometimes a conversation can really save a friendship.

I'm looking forward to seeing how their relationship changes after Samantha's move.

No comments:

Post a Comment