Thursday, December 20, 2012
I'm currently reading "The Perks of being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbowsky. This book is a series of letters, that Charlie is writing to a person who is yet to be revealed. This book is mainly talking about Charlie's experiences in Highschool and how his two new friends Patrick and Sam are helping hm experience new events each day. However, there are many issues in the book such as drugs, and relationships.
Charlie and his new friends; brother and sister Sam and Patrick, don't take life very seriously. They go out a lot, and when they do all they focus on is drinking, smoking pot, and sex. Charlie has been sucked into a life he never really lived through before. At such a young age, he's already getting high and drinking all night long. I find Charlie to be a follower. nstead of speaking his mind and saying no for once, he goes along with them and accepts all that they do. I think Charlie is just trying to remain friends with them. I think this because, since his best friend Michael commited suicide he doesn't really have anyone else. So when he got the oppurtunity to become friends with these two very out-going people, who attend parties every week and do drugs he obviously took it. During one party, the host Bob gave Charlie a pot browny, which he later got high on. I think that as juniors Samn and Patrick are setting really bad examples for charlie whose only a freshmen! I understand you want to party and enjoy your teenage years, but they go too far.
Another major issue that shows up in the book quite often is relationships. I can definitely tell that Charlie's relationship with his Aunt Helen is definitely the most important and meaningful one. At one point Charlie says "My Aunt Helen was my favorite person in the world." I definitely feel that Charlie cares for his Aunt more than he does for anyone else. I also think that Helen was a mother figure to him, because Charlie never talked about his mother the way he talks about Helen. The relationship Charlie has with his mom is quite simple actually. So far I haven't gotten a chance to discover the true personality of the mother. From what I know, she's a very quiet a person and isn't very involved in the arguments. Charlie has so much more feelings and thoughts on Aunt Helen rather than his mom. This makes me think that Aunt Helen was there for Charlie more. Charlie talks about the fantastic times when his Aunt would let him stay up late to watch Saturday Night live. And how it would be so much fun spending time with his Aunt when his mother and father went to parties. I really believe that Aunt Helen was a mother figure to Charlie, and will still remain one, because they shared moments such as watching Saturday Night Live and just spending time with eachother, that he never really got to experience with his mother.
I found the major problems in this book to be drugs and relatosnhips. All Charlie wants to do is have his friends. So weather it's drugs or pot he's never down. And his relationship with his Aunt Helen is really showed more, rather than his relationship with his mom, dad, brother os sister. Throughout the book, I could really feel how much Charlie loved his Aunt, and how she is his role model. I just find Charlie to still be a little kid. He doesn't understand anything thats currently happening in his life, and saying yes to everything that could potentially hurt him. I'm looking forward to see weather Charlie does go through some changes, and becomes a better teenager.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Biana,
ReplyDeleteNicee job! I think you're right! Charlie really shouldn't have done drugs-you want friends, you don't have to get through THAT. But, then again, it could also be peer pressure. I mean, Charlie wants these friends, THESE specific friends, and clearly he's willing to do ANYTHING for them. I feel like reading this book now, I wanna know what Charlie does too!
~Angel
wow biana this was really great! i read it and i just wanted to keep reading it more. I thought it was very long a well thought out and had a lot of great details! and i definitely agree with angel. I want to know what charlie does next. I think you explained well enough that i could follow allong. Great job!! -becca
ReplyDeleteThanks guys!!! <3 and Angel it's a really good book you definitely should! And Becca thanks so much :)
ReplyDelete