I have read the book "Copper Sun" by Sharon M. Draper. I found this book to be very interesting, and different than most books I usually read. Throughout the story, Amari has faced many complicated situations. Some of the complicated situations are being sexually abused by her slave owner, being beaten every day, and the tough times she has faced on the boat.Amari can be considered a strong women, because many of the women at her age didn't make it through the consequences she had to face.
Amari witnessed the death of her family right in front of her eyes, and other tride members dying as well. She was captured by Ashanti members. There was this one time when a mother and a child jumped off a boat, because they couldn't handle the situation they were in. Afterwards, they were eaten by sharks. In my opinion, Ashanti is considered brave for conquering the obstacles that came her way. It's really disappointing knowing that so many people took their lives, because they couldn't face the terrible problems that came their way, but strong Amari did. Amari kept going and held onto her hopes of escaping.
The slaves along with Amari weren't given any medication or food, until the day before they were sold. Many slaves reached the point of death because of this. Amari held herself together knowing that no one was going to comfort her, like her mother once did. If I were in Amari's shoes, I wouldn't be as brave as Amari is. I can't imagine myself being held captive with other tribe members going to be sold in a slave auction. It disgusts me how the minds of people were back then. No one, should be harassed like this, because we are all human. The color of your skin should not matter, and shouldn't decide your faith.
In conclusion, not everyone held it together throughout their journey of being a slave. I can't personally relate to this idea of being a slave, because I didn't live during that time period. I really enjoyed reading this book, because it has taught me about previous centuries and the hard life back then. I'm happy I got to go through Amari's journey as a slave with her, which has taught me to never take anything for granted. This book has opened my eyes a lot about the world itself, and the people living in it. I'm looking forward to reading more books similar to this.
No comments:
Post a Comment