Thursday, May 2, 2013
For my non-fiction post, I had read an article about a 15 year old girl named Zara hartshorn, who has a very rare ageing disease. Instead of looking like a normal teenage girl, she's mistaken for a 50 year old woman. Her disease only affects fewer than 30 people in Britain, and sadly her mom and her sister have it too. Her and her mother and sister all have lipodystrophy, which is a disease that decays your bones and destroys fatty tissue beneath the surface of the skin, which than causes the quick ageing. Her childhood growing up was very difficult, and it still is due to the way she looks.
She was taken out of school, because of the harassment and the bullying she faced every single day. She was forced off a bus, just because she couldn't prove she was able to get a child's ticket.
It was impossible for her to get a child's ticket at a cinema, and she would be mistaken for a teacher at school.
Reading her story made me realize quite a few things. I really loved how even though she was battling with this disease, she kept on fighting. She's had a rough childhood growing up with being called "granny, and baggy face". And if that's not enough, she was born into a family where 2 other members suffer from the same disease she's battling against. And, I really like how she's accepting of herself, just like she says in one of her quotes “I used to wear lots of make-up but now I’m more accepting of myself some people are worse looking than me.” She cherishes every moment of every day, and I like her positive attitude towards things, and how she really wants to speak out to schools about her condition and the bullying she faced as a child. She's one of those people that actually proves to the world that not everything is about looks, personality plays a big part also.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment