I have just read “How Do Genetically Modified
Foods Affect Your Health” by Rachel Mount. I decided to read this article
because in science we are writing an essay about our opinion on genetically
modified food, so I thought it would be interesting to make my blog post on
this.
Turns out more than 85% of corn
and soy grown in the United States come from seeds whose DNA has been rearranged.
This means that more than half of the corn and soy grown isn’t natural instead
it goes through being genetically engineered. The process of genetically
modifying food allows farmers to produce food with fewer chemicals, which
results in a cleaner environment with much cheaper groceries. Genetically
modified foods have been out there since 1994, and have been experimented on
animals. They can lead to kidney and liver malfunction, and even reduced
fertility.
It may even be that genetically
modified foods cause allergies. As genes are transferred between plants, allergenic
proteins such as peanuts or wheat will come up in weird places. Researchers are
running tests to try to prevent that from happening, because it can harm the
health of a person. Even though there are many risks in genetically modified
foods, more and more appear each year. However, it is impossible for consumers
to tell genetically modified foods from regular foods.
In my opinion I think genetically
modifying our food is great. This article did talk about more of the bad things
that result out of genetically modifying your food, however since I’ve read a
lot more articles on this topic I’ve found more cons rather than pros. I think
have a much cleaner environment is amazing. Since there is a lot of pollution,
and littering, we are in very much need of a cleaner environment and
genetically modifying food can help us with that. Also producing food with
fewer chemicals is very healthy for any human being. And lastly, cheaper
groceries can help us save a lot of money.
No comments:
Post a Comment