Thursday, February 14, 2013
Palace of Mirros
I am still currently reading "Palace of Mirrors" by Margaret Peterson Haddix. While I was reading this book, I tried to focus on the relationship of Cecilia and Harper. Their relationship has many ups and downs, and whats affecting it the most is Cecilia's true identity.
Cecilia is a princess, but she has to be hiding at all times to keep her safe from the villains who killed her parents. Shes hiding in the woods in a small town, while in her castle another young girl had taken her place.
When Cecilia was in the woods with her best friend Harper hunting, she thought she saw figures and heard noises. She must be on the lookout during all times, because the villains who killed her parents are targeting her next. No one knows her true identity other than her Nana and her "security" Stephan who is doing his best to keep her safe. She hasn't even told Harper who she really is, because she's been told too keep it a secret.
In the woods, when the noises turned out to be a dog, Harper had tried to calm her done by saying "If there was any danger, if someone was really following us...I'd protect you". But the only answer she gave him was "with what? Your harp?''. I thought the comment she had made was really rude. I understand that she's trying to keep herself undercover so she won't be the next victim, but Harper doesn't know that. He just thinks she's some new girl, and he's putting in a lot of effort into becoming her friend, because she doesn't have any. Her response was very selfish. There is a lot of harm trying to cross her way, and she does have to be careful with who she trusts and who she be-friends, but Harper wasn't being anything more other than real with her, and he had meant what he said but he truly cares for her, so she could've showed a sign of thankfulness.
In another scene in the book while Cecilia is waiting for Harper to go with him to the town, he comes a little bit later and still hasn't forgiven Cecilia for what she had said earlier. So instead he runs off without her, and leaves her thinking. Cecilia's thoughts are everywhere. All she could think about is what is she supposed to say? How can she excuse herself? How can Harper understand anything if he doesn't know that I'm the true princess?
From that point, I now can really see what Cecilia is saying. There willl always be an excuse since Cecilia can't tell Harper the truth for now. She has to lie to him everyday, pretending to be someone who she isn't. And now I understand that it's not Cecilia's fualt, because if she could she would be honet with him. But if she had told him, she would risk her own life.
I think that Harper's relationship with Cecilia is very interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it changes farther in the book.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Biana,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I like the way that you have a good focus that you stick to. I also liked the way that you analyze the relationship between Cecelia and Harper. You did a good job supporting the way that you described their relationship. Once again, great post!
-Georgia P.
Thanks so much Georgia! <3
ReplyDelete