I am currently reading "Mockingbird" by Kathryn Erskine. This book is about 10 year old Caitlyn and her dad, who are both dealing with the death of her brother who was shot in his school. I found this book to have many complex issues, and Caitlin was in the middle of each one. However, the death of her brother Devon was the biggest issue. It seems as if Caitlyn doesn't understand that her brother is gone, she knows he was shot but throughout the story she acts as if her brother will come back home soon. Caitlyn's life is tough, losing her mother at a very young age, to losing her brother a few years later. A complex issue that has been following the book from page to page, is Caitlyns Asperger's syndrome. Due to her syndrome, she has trouble communicating with about everyone and finding a friend who can take her tantrums, and understand her syndrome is one of the hardest things. Devon, was the only person who she called a friend, unlike many older siblings he stood by her, and gave her a reason to live.
Caitlyn's syndrome not only caused her to be friendless, but bullied also. Josh who was bullying Caitlyn didn't directly bully her due to her syndrome, but he knew well enough she has Asperger's. Sometimes because of her syndrome, she has trouble communitcating with people, and she's not understood well. Caitlyn was mad that Josh rain into a students personal space and knocked him down , so she wanted to teach him how to say excuse me. Caitlyn had to repeat herself many times just for Josh to go along, but instead he leaped onto a conversation about her brother being shot. I find it very disturbing for Josh to interrupt and give Caitlyn rude replies. Josh knew that suffering from Asperger's could cause Caitlyn to have trouble communicating, but he should have never mentioned her brother.
I think having Asperger's or having any disorder related to that is a really complicated issue that could effect many people each year. Having Asperger's means you have a difficult time interracting with other people. Caitlyn is in a closed cirlce with everyone surronding the outside, she's on her own. In the book, Caitlyn's class had to do a group project consisting of atleast 2 people or more. However, it didn't matter how many times Mrs.Book talked to Caitlyn about being in a group, she insisted not too. Caitllyn's syndrome is making it harder and harder by the day to make friends, so she'd rather work alone. It broke my hear when Caitlyn said "I leave people alone, they tell me to themselves. They always tell me-Leave me alone. Caitlyn go away-so I'm listening. And I'm doing what they asked so I'm being nice. Judging a person by their looks, or a disability is something that America faces every day. It's also a very complicated issue in the book, that occurs to Caitlyn a lot. Caitlyn accepts what people have to say, because she finds it easier to walk away from complications, and she has this side of her that lets in.
Due to this complex issue, Caitlyn was even put into a different recess class, different from her peers. Her teachers thought it would be best to put her with the kindergartners, so she won't have to find it hard to be with people her age who are with their own groups that ignore her. I find this wrong but right at the same time. Caitlyn will need friends in her life, and even though it is very hard growing up with Asperger's there will be times when she needs someone to talk to, So taking her out of recess, will just make the chances of her having a friend smaller and smaller. But on the other hand, her teachers are right. Seeing kids having fun, while standing in the corner by yourself is awful. And maybe, being with kindergartners will help her discover more things in life, and she could even make a few new friends.
Overall, Caitlyn's syndrome is a complicated issue, and hopefully thoughout the book people will see Caitlyn for who she is, not judge her off Asperger's.
Really good post! I've read this book also and I agree with your ideas. It must be awful for Caitlyn to have to go through life with Asperger's. It must be awkward for her to have to explain to people who don't know so they can try and undertsnad why she isn't as loud or talkative as other kids.
ReplyDeleteThanx kim!! :) Yes I know I feel really bad for Caitlyn. And even as I finished the book I still feel Michael is her only friend. I mean Emma and her group aren't very nice to her. And going into highschool, the same highschool where her borther was shot is really hard.
ReplyDelete